Please wait... loading

Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC), Wellington
Phone 1: 0800 101 996 Phone 2: see contacts page
Skype: Fax: 04 472 3893
Street Address:
View on map
Shamrock House
79-83 Molesworth Street
Town / City: Wellington
Postal Address:
PO Box 2521
Postcode: 6140
Town / City: Wellington
Prov / State: Wellington
Country: New Zealand
1. 33 Insurance.
2. 31 Business + Admin.
Keywords:We provide comprehensive, no-fault personal injury cover for all New Zealand residents and visitors to New Zealand. This means you can apply for our help, no matter how you got injured, or whose fault it was. Our help can include a wide range of services from payment towards treatment, to help around the home while you get better, and assistance with your income if you cant work because of your injury.

On this page

Our role and what it involves
Injury cover for all New Zealanders and visitors
Our role and what it involves
As a Crown organisation, our role is set out by the Government. Were here to:

prevent injury
make sure people can get treatment for injury, if it happens
help people get back to everyday life as soon as possible.
Here are some of the things we do to carry out our role:

receive our clients injury claims, and tell them if we can help
oversee and coordinate the help clients get, to make sure they get the help they need
pay weekly compensation (a regular form of income, calculated at a percentage of the clients usual earnings)
help pay for a wide range of treatment and medical costs, from GP visits and specialist fees, to x-rays, prescription costs and hospital emergency services
collect levies to help pay for the services we provide
work with businesses and in the community, to help them become safer, injury-free places
Our Code of Conduct
Our employees and contractors are expected to maintain the highest standards of integrity, discretion and ethical conduct, based on the standards that apply to all State Servants. To find out more about our standards see the ACC Code of Conduct.

Injury cover for all New Zealanders and visitors
All New Zealanders and visitors to New Zealand who get injured can apply for help from us, whether or not:

youre working, retired, a child, a student or on a benefit
you or someone else caused the accident that led to your injury
the injury happened at work, during sport or recreation, at home or on the road.
We can also help you if youre a New Zealander returning from overseas with an injury, as long as youre a permanent resident, and you havent been away for more than six months.

Because of the wide range of help available from ACC after an injury, you cant sue for personal injury in New Zealand, except for exemplary damages. This applies to overseas tourists too.

For more information about who and what is covered, see Am I covered?

Details of injuries and conditions that we cover are set out in ACCs governing legislation, the Accident Compensation (AC) Act 2001 (external link).